Part of the charm of a visit to Thailand is trying the local food. A survey back in 2000 revealed the following dishes to be the most popular with foreign visitors to Thailand.
1) Tom Yam Kung (spicy shrimp soup)
2) Kaeng Khiao Wan Kai (green curry with chicken)
3) Phat Thai (Thai style fried noodles)
4) Phat Krapao (meat fried with sweet basils)
5) Kaeng Phet Pet Yang (roast duck curry)
6) Tom Kha Kai (chicken in coconut soup)
7) Yam Nua (spicy beef salad)
8) Mu/Gai Sa-Te (pork/chicken covered with tumeric)
9) Kai Phat Met Mamuang Himmaphan (chicken fried with cashew nuts)
It’s difficult to put across on a web page how to pronounce each dish and you may see a whole host of different spellings on a menu, but at least the above list gives you some reference point.